Outdoor Activity Apprentice
Go Ape is the UKs number 1 adventure company with 33 locations nationwide and more than 8 different activities. We’ve been providing adventures since 2002 and have welcomed over 10 million customers, but we’re not done yet and have big ambitions for the future.
At Go Ape one of our values is ‘Create worthwhile, rewarding jobs’ and as an Outdoor Activity Apprentice you’ll have the opportunity be part of this!
The Outdoor Activity Apprentice will be offered a 13-month Fixed Term Contract at 30 hours per week for the duration of the contract and receive £5.28 per hour for the first year.
During your time with us you’ll be working towards a Level 3 Outdoor Activity Instructor qualification where you’ll learn how to prepare for and deliver sessions, you’ll learn how to meet the session outcomes and how to close a session at the end. You’ll also learn about organisation requirements, how to communicate with customers and colleagues and how to represent the organisation and how to handle information. You’ll learn about professional practice and learn the key behaviours of an Outdoor Instructor.
Joining Go Ape you’ll feel a great sense of camaraderie and connectedness within the teams, and we’re committed to training you to our high standards with Go Ape’s in-house training programme – a mixture of online and practical development.
Completing the Outdoor Activity Apprenticeship will give you the opportunity to work towards becoming one of our Customer Activity Assistants – we’ve included the details below!
Check out the Go Ape website here.
What you’ll be doing (Full and Fun training provided!):
- Customer Experience
- Welcome customers and provide customer WOW whilst you prepare them to take part in their activity.
- Deliver the adventure, ensuring an amazing customer experience.
- Host schools and education groups, helping children to take new adventures and overcome their fears.
- Do everything within reason to minimise customer complaints and maximise satisfaction.
- Health & Safety
- Fit, remove and inspect harnesses and protective equipment.
- Demonstrate and ensure the safe system of activities at all times.
- Instruct and brief customers on safety procedures and the safe way of experiencing activities – evaluate participant competence to continue beyond the briefing stage.
- Monitor and patrol the course; ensure all participants are safely conducting themselves and assist participants where necessary, carry out emergency drills in accordance with company directives and training, and ensure all landing sites are maintained to the correct standard.
- Help with local marketing as required by the Site Manager/ Deputy Manager
- Carry out course checks and record/report findings.
- Caring for equipment and facilities
What you’ll need:
- A ‘customer comes first’ attitude with drive and enthusiasm to achieve customer WOW!
- Safety conscious frame of mind, with a professional outlook
- Able to work under own initiative without supervision – there’s always someone around to help if you do need support.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- High standard of personal hygiene and appearance
- Enthusiastic team player who is able to work with other colleagues in a dynamic working environment.
- A cheerful disposition, even when under pressure
- Must like working outdoors and have a good head for heights.
- Must be able to demonstrate attention to detail and ability to diligently follow procedures.
- To be able to get to site – which may mean having your own transport as some of our sites are remote without public transport links.
- Able to perform all physical duties (with reasonable adjustments where required)
- It is a requirement that Level 3 Apprentices must have Level 1 (GCSE Grade D / 3) in Functional Skills Maths and English and ideally have GCSE at 4 or above or level 2 functional skills.
- Contract Fixed term –13 months to 18 months depending on need. There may be the opportunity for a permanent contract later down the line if you become part of your core team. The core season runs February to October but we’re open all year round so there will be the opportunity to work throughout the year.
- Holiday Entitlement 28 days’ holiday (pro rata) included in the hourly rate as above. Holiday pay will be specified separately on your payslip.
- Training Package We offer an extremely comprehensive online and practical training package to ensure you succeed in your role – you’ll gain lots of useful transferable skills including Health & Safety, operations, customer service and communication skills.
- Expeditions & Naturally Powered Days – we arrange multiple subsidised adventure trips each year such as caving, hiking, cycling, kayaking and climbing. Join the fun closer to home in the UK or on one of our further flung Moroccan trips mountain climbing!
- Profit Distribution You’ll be eligible to receive a tax-free profit distribution.
- Co – Owner Council You’ll have a voice through our Co-Owner council, our council is formed of 20 representatives from across the business. They work on projects such as pay, benefits, environment & social initiatives and charity.
- Flexible Working Hours A wide range of contracted hours available, both full and part time. Weekend and bank holiday are standard working days.
- Give As You Earn Do the right thing – donate to charity direct from salary whilst saving on tax and national insurance.
- Employee help line Free confidential advice – Family, Health, Life, Money, Work
- Free Go Ape! Immediate family, plus one goes free – everyone else 20% off.
- Pension Scheme Employers contributions matched to 3%
- Discounts Retail & Leisure discounts, inc.The North Face uniform.
- Charity Partner – we’re in a 2-year charity partnership with the Prince’s Trust, they have lots of fund-raising events and volunteering opportunities available for you to get involved in.
- Volunteering Days – you’ll have the opportunity to apply for paid time off to volunteer on local social and environmental community projects.
Dalby Forest, Low Dalby, Thornton Le Dale, Dalby Forest, North Yorkshire, YO18 7LT
Grizedale, Hawkshead, Cumbria, LA22 0QJ
Salary Details: £5.28 per hour (Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage)
Working Hours: 30 hours per week (Mon – Sun)
Open to under 18s: Yes
Closing Date: Ongoing
Interview Date: TBC
Possible Start Date: TBC
Please click on the following link to apply:
For any queries about the role please contact Bex Cain – firstname.lastname@example.org